Universities offer a wide range of courses such as Business, Management, Science, Arts, Health, Architecture, Engineering and so on. It is quite common for students to enrol in a double or combined Bachelor Degree program, which leads to the award of two Bachelor Degrees.

The Australian higher education sector includes:

  • Public Universities
  • Private Universities
  • Australian Branches of Overseas Universities
  • Higher Education Providers

Most universities will offer you credits or exemptions towards your Bachelor degree when you have successfully completed your VET qualification in a related field.


  • Associate Degree
  • Bachelor Degree
  • Bachelor Honours Degree

Credit Transfer

Credit transfer is when a Higher Education provider allows you to count previous education or training in a similar field or topic towards part of your qualification. This may reduce the number of units you have to complete to gain your qualification. You will need statements of academic achievement to support your request for credit.

Recognition of Prior Learning

Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) is the process of getting any previous relevant experience, which includes working, training and volunteering, to be formally recognised towards a qualification. This may reduce the length and cost of your Bachelor degree. You may need to submit payslips, letters from employers or other relevant documents to support your request for RPL.

Quality Assurance

Australia has an independent national quality assurance and regulatory agency for higher education – The Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TESQA). It is set up to protect student interests and the reputation of Australia’s higher education sector. All institutions that offer higher education qualifications in or from Australia must be registered by TESQA.

In Australia, only education institutions who are registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) can enrol and deliver education services to students on a student visa. Australia also provides protection for international students through the Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act 2000 which sets out the legal framework governing delivery of education to international students in Australia on a student visa. Australian education institutions also have to adhere to the National Code of Practice for Providers of Education and Training to Overseas Students 2018 (National Code), which sets nationally consistent standards for the delivery of courses to overseas standards.

This ensures that you will receive a high quality education when you study in Australia.

Options after Graduation to Live, Study or Work in Australia

International students who have graduated from an Australian educational institution are given an opportunity to gain work experience and employment in Australia under the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485), Post-Study Work Stream.

  • If you complete a Bachelor degree, you can apply for a 2 year subclass 485 visa.

This visa allows you and your family to live, study or work in Australia after you have completed your studies. This is an unique opportunity for you to gain work experience and possibly migration opportunity if you perform well and your employer offers you sponsorship.