After completing your Undergraduate studies, you may be thinking of furthering your education. Or you may be a working professional and is looking for career advancement or a change in your career direction. Enrolling in Postgraduate courses may be the next step for you!

The majority of Postgraduate students undertake coursework degrees. These courses are structured programs and allow you to study advanced subjects and to build on your undergraduate degree. Course delivery consists mainly of lectures and seminars and assessments take the form of assignments and examinations.  Through the course of your study, you will be able to build valuable networks and gain invaluable exposure while learning many transferable skills that are valued by employers.

Undertaking a Postgraduate research course provides you with the opportunity to follow your interest or to explore your passion in an area of research. They normally involve minimal coursework and involve more self-directed study. You will be required to write a thesis for assessment. You may also have the opportunity to learn alongside internationally recognised researchers.

The Australian higher education sector includes:

  • Public Universities
  • Private Universities
  • Australian Branches of Overseas Universities
  • Higher Education Providers


Postgraduate Degrees by Coursework:

  • Graduate Certificate
  • Graduate Diploma
  • Masters Degree (Extended)
  • Masters Degree (Coursework)
  • Professional Doctorate

Postgraduate Degrees by Research:

  • Masters Degree (Research)
  • Research Doctoral Degree

Quality Assurance

Australia has an independent national quality assurance and regulatory agency for higher education – The Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TESQA). It is set up to protect student interests and the reputation of Australia’s higher education sector. All institutions that offer higher education qualifications in or from Australia must be registered by TESQA.

In Australia, only education institutions who are registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) can enrol and deliver education services to students on a student visa. Australia also provides protection for international students through the Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act 2000 which sets out the legal framework governing delivery of education to international students in Australia on a student visa. Australian education institutions also have to adhere to the National Code of Practice for Providers of Education and Training to Overseas Students 2018 (National Code), which sets nationally consistent standards for the delivery of courses to overseas standards.

Options after Graduation to Live, Study or Work in Australia

International students who have graduated from an Australian educational institution are given an opportunity to gain work experience and employment in Australia under the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485). Post-Study Work Stream.

  • If you complete a Masters by Coursework Degree or Masters (extended) Degree, you can apply for a 2 year subclass 485 visa.
  • If you complete a Masters by Research Degree, you can apply for a 3 year subclass 485 visa.
  • If you complete a Doctoral Degree, you can apply for a 4 year subclass 485 visa.

This visa allows you and your family to live, study or work in Australia after you have completed your studies. This is an unique opportunity for you to gain work experience and possibly migration opportunity if you perform well and your employer offers you sponsorship.