So you have made the bold step of coming to study in Australia and have completed your Bachelor of Accounting or Masters of Accounting. What can you do after graduation? Applying for skilled migration is definitely a great pathway!
Option 1: Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485) Post Study Work Stream
You can apply for the Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485). This 485 visa allows you and your family to live, study or work in Australia for 2 years after you have completed your studies. You should apply for the Post Study Work Stream within 6 months of the date of completion of your course.
Option 2: Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189) (Points Tested Stream)
You can also apply for the Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) (Points-tested) stream. This skilled migration visa allows you to live and work in Australia as a permanent resident and apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible. You can also include your partner and your or your partner’s child or step-child in your application.
To be eligible to apply for the 189 visa:
- You need to contact CPA Australia to obtain a skills assessment that shows that you have the skills and qualifications to work as an Accountant. There are 3 components of the skills assessment to determine suitability (1) Degree comparability (2) Educational Knowledge (3) English Language Proficiency
- Meet the points test pass mark of 65 points
- You can use the points table to calculate your score
- Achieving 65 points does not guarantee that you will be invited. You will be ranked against other intending applicants and generally, applicants with a higher score will be invited to apply for the visa first.
- Be under 45 years of age at the time of invitation.
- Have competent English
- You must have achieved a score of at least 6 in each of the four test components (speaking, reading, listening and writing) in an International English Language Testing System (IELTS). There are also other acceptable English proficiency tests that you can sit for. The test must be undertaken in the 3 years immediately prior to lodging the visa application.
- Meet the health requirement
- To meet this requirement, you will be requested to go for a health check.
- Be of good character
- To meet this requirement, you will need to provide police certificates from countries that you have lived in. You may also need to provide additional documents.
- Be invited by the Department of Home Affairs to apply
You are an Accounting graduate and your occupation, Accountant (General) is listed on the list of eligible skilled occupations. You are between 25 to 32 years old (30 points), have superior English (which is defined as being able to achieve a score of at least 8 in the four test components (speaking, reading, listening and writing) in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) (20 points). You have a Bachelor degree from an Australian educational institution or a Bachelor qualification, from another educational institution that is of a recognised standard (15 points).
Based on the points table, you will have achieve 65 points, which will allow you to submit an expression of interest (EOI). As you will be ranked against other intending applicants, the higher your score, the better your chances of receiving an invitation.
To gain additional points, you can also enrol and complete an Accounting Professional Year Program.
If you are interested to find out more about skilled migration, please complete the online assessment form. We will offer you a Free Assessment to determine your eligibility!